Friday, September 27, 2013

Children's Dresser in curly maple


  • This is a dresser I made for my daughter. I scaled down the proportions so it is a nice fit for toddler clothes. She can also open and close the drawers herself.



I built it with traditional frame and panel joinery. The panel was cut on the tablesaw and then cleaned up with a smoothing plane. I routed the bottom moulding and top cove on the router table.



Maple is pretty bad with wood movement so I gave the panel a lot of room to move. However, I noticed that in the summers it is really stretching the limit so if I was to do it again I would leave more room. My Lie-Nielson 4 1/2 with a York pitch had no trouble smoothing the highly figured maple. The batch of maple that I got is probably the best figured maple I have seen. I was able to use one wide piece for the panels which I think improves the look overall.



Getting the drawers to slide smoothly was definitely the most challenging aspect of the project. They required quite a bit of planing to get right. I dowelled the drawer sides to the faces. I wanted to do dovetails but I was running out of time and Zoe's clothes needed a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment